Friday, November 4, 2011

Candied Apples:



      There's something so deliciously nostalgic about a classic candied apple. But when it came to creating my own recipe for this well known treat I had a few adjustments of my own to make. First, I hate how difficult is it to bite into a massive apple so I used mini apples instead. Second, I switched out the typical green apple used for this dessert and replaced it with a crisp juicy organic gala apple. November is finally here, and now is the time to start making your favorite festive holiday treats. This recipe for candied apples uses only a few ingredients that are easy to find in your local grocery store and trust me, the mild work it takes to create this tasty treat is well worth it! Nothing beats a home made candied apple!

Magic Ingredients:
- 16 mini gala apples 
- 4 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups clear corn syrup (commonly known as Karo syrup)
- Several drops red food coloring

Special Tools:
- Candy thermometer (I prefer analog versions because you can watch as the temperature rises and how fast)
- 16 wooden craft sticks 
- Parchment paper


Let's Get Started:
1: In a heavy bottomed narrow pot boil together the water, sugar, corn syrup, and red food coloring. Insert the candy thermometer and stir the mixture until it reaches of temperature of 280 degrees. 


2: While the candy coating is coming to a boil, line your serving dish with parchment paper. Second, remove the stems from the apples by twisting them out. Lastly, put the a craft stick into each apple (I like to put the handle in the bottom of the apple rather than the top to increase stability)


3: Grasp an apple by the craft stick and dip into the coating, place on parchment paper to cool. Repeat this step with each apple. Once apples have cooled and hardened, serve em up and watch them disappear! 




      I most recently served these delectable morsels at a costume party (check out the party festivities by clicking here) But I didn't get to eat enough of them myself so I plan on making them again for Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll spruce this recipe up a little bit more by adding a coating of sprinkles or candy bits to each apple, what do you guys think?


Yours,
Nico

2 comments:

  1. a tasty treat that can't be beat.
    ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved candies apples! Such a rare and great treat!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!