Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cinnamon Chai Cake:


      This past weekend I attended a fabulous Halloween party, complete with creepy decor, good friends, and of course, a homemade cake! I couldn't resist the opportunity to get back into the kitchen and get creative and this recipe is no exception. I did take a few short cuts (I wanted the extra time to work on my Halloween costume), and ended up using a box of cake mix that I then doctored up to the fullest! The icing is a pumpkin and cream cheese and the cake is colored dark black and flavored with loads of cinnamon and chai tea! This recipe my appear elaborate but it's really quite simple, here's how:


Magic Ingredients:
(for the cake)
-2 boxes white cake mix (plus all ingredients listed on packaging)
-1 teaspoons black food coloring
-2 bags of loose leaf chai tea, 
-4 tablespoons cinnamon
(for the frosting)
-1 pound cream cheese at room temp.
-2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (found in most chain grocery stores)
-1 tablespoon cinnamon
-2 cups powdered sugar 
*Candy garnishes for decoration (optional)



Directions:
1: Prepare the cake mix per the directions on the box. Add black food coloring, chai tea leaves, and cinnamon to the mix. Divid batter between three nine inch greased cake pans and bake as directed. 
2: After the cake has been baked, allow them to cool and come to room temperature. While you are waiting prepare the icing.
3: In a standard mixer, blend cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice, powdered sugar, and cinnamon together until combined and smooth. 
4: Now assemble the cake. First layer one pan of cake on a plate (or cake stand), then a thick layer of frosting, then another cake until all three layers of cake are stacked together. 
5: Frost the cake entirely with a "crumble layer" of frosting. Place the cake into the fridge until the frosting has hardened. Layer with more frosting and decorate with Halloween candy to finish!








Have you been cooking up any special Halloween treats?

Yours,
Nico

10 comments:

  1. Wow amazing! looks really pretty and yummy!

    http://myfashionfoodstyle.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! That looks so good. :)

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. really gorgeous and yummy! congrats Nico!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop making me crave desserts! :p

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! Such a beautiful cake!!! I am horrible at baking, I still remember the last time I bake, the cake just simply won't rise :)

    ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awe! I could try the frosting for a gluten free cake so I can eat too :3
    x, Lara
    http://rockteraptor.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete

  7. Nothing, because Halloween is not so popular in Portugal, but some people celebrate it! We celebrate the carnival, it's usually around the 16th of February! Carnival is a big party where people are in festive mood, dressed masked, and wearing face painting, dancing down the street with music and lights ;)
    Your cake looks beautiful, and he recipe sounds delicious and easy to make, thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it!
    Thank you so much for stopping by, hope you have a fabulous week ahead<3

    x♥x♥

    "Saúde & Beleza - Health & Beauty"




    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nico! Have 2 awards for you on my blog!

    http://myfashionfoodstyle.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out great! I've never thought of making chai spiced cake, but it's such a fall flavor. I bet this is delish!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nico, you are so incredibly talented! This cake looks just stunning, and the flavor combo is so original and tempting! Wonderful!

    Thank you so much for your email! I'm so excited that you'll be my guest for Sunday brunch, and I LOVED your answers! Btw, if you have some images that illustrate your answers, feel free to send them my way, otherwise, I will look some up myself :)

    Have a fabulous day, my dear!


    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!